We left our house around 6:45 AM on Monday April 16th. It was strange to be driving to the hospital to have a baby while not in labor. We checked in and were taken to our room. I used the restroom, and found that I had lost the remainder of my mucus plug. I changed into the hospital gown. The nurse started the IV. It took her a couple of tries, which mystified me because I have nice visible palpable veins that don’t roll, and no one has ever had a problem before. She then hooked me up to a monitor, and the doctor came in and checked me. I had progressed to 3 cm and 90% effaced. He attempted to break my water, which was very painful. I may have cried a tiny bit. He was not successful, probably because there was hardly any there….

They finally started the pitocin around 8 AM. My husband and I walked around our floor for about two hours. The contractions got progressively stronger. We got tired and bored of walking around, so we went back to our room. I sat on a birthing ball while we watched an episode of Modern Family on the computer. I was very uncomfortable by this time, so I told myself that when the show was over, I could ask for my epidural. My husband said something about not thinking I was ready yet. I’m really not sure if he thought I was not in enough pain yet or if he didn’t think I had progressed enough. Either way, I gave him a dirty look and asked anyway. The nurse checked me, and I was 6 cm dilated and 100% effaced. I got the epidural about 20 minutes later. It was wonderful. However, I could still feel the contractions on the upper part of my uterus, and I could feel pressure in my pelvis with every contraction. It wasn’t really painful though, so when the anesthetist came back in and asked if we were friends, I said ‘yes.”

I took a nap, and when I woke up, I informed a nurse that I was having increasing pelvic pressure with contractions. She told me that my nurse was at lunch, and she would check me when she got back. By that time, I was complete! She called my doctor, and he came over to deliver the baby. The nurse told me to push while the doctor was gowning up, but then started yelling to stop because the head was right there and no one was ready to catch her. I ended up pushing twice, and then there she was: our 6 pound 9 ounce, 20 inch wailing bundle of joy! She was perfect, and I have never been so happy to hear a baby cry! We named her Lauren Michelle.

He ended up doing an episiotomy, so I had a few stitches. I also asked about the cord and placenta because of all of the concern about her weight and fluid. He said the cord was nice and thick, but really long. He considered the cord’s length to be irrelevant though. He said the placenta looked normal, but he sent it to a lab for analysis. I will be interested to know if they find anything wrong with it.

We had a lot of visitors both in the hospital and once we got home. (Side-note: it was really nice to come home to a super clean house). Our son was very clingy and whiny at first, but he is adjusting and has been nothing but gentle. Lauren is doing well. I wake her every 3 hours during the day to nurse, and she usually wakes up once or twice in the night. She is very sweet, and we love to snuggle her. I am looking forward to being her mom and shaping her growth. Thanks for following my journal!

Comments are closed.